An event that causes a loss of coverage is called a “Qualifying Event”. Qualifying events for members include:
1. Reduction of hours by employee;
2. Employment ends for any reason other than gross misconduct.
A Dependent is a qualified beneficiary and may also elect to continue the medical coverage if the Dependent’s medical coverage terminates because of:
1. Death of the Employee;
2. Termination of the Employee’s employment (other than because of gross misconduct) or reduction in the number of hours worked;
3. Divorce or legal separation;
4. The Employee becoming covered under Medicare;
5. A Dependent ceasing to meet the definition of “Dependent”;
A qualified beneficiary must elect continuation coverage within 60 days after the later of:
1. The date coverage terminates under this Plan because of the qualifying event; or
2. The date the qualified beneficiary receives notice from the Trust Administrator of the right to this continuation.
COBRA and the provisions for the Right to Self-Pay are integrated to the extent that any continuation coverage provided by the provisions outlined in Section 7 for the right to Self-Pay operates concurrently with continuation coverage provided by COBRA.